Parish Church of Llanllwchaiarn

custom_image

St. Llwchaiarn's, situated about one mile from the town centre, stands in a peaceful rural setting, with the grounds following a circular outline indicative of an early Celtic site, though additions to the churchyard have changed the outline to a roughly triangular shape today.

It was at Llanmerewig, an adjacent parish to the south east and overlooking the Severn valley, that Llwchaiarn built his first "cell" or church of local materials, during the early part of the seventh century.  He then established his second church when he came to the north of the river.  By trad­ition the Saint is buried at Llanmerewig, though there are two further dedications to him in Cardiganshire.  His festival day is celebrated on January 12th.

There are four townships in this parish - Aberbechan, Hendidley, Gwestydd and Cilcowen.

No illustrations of earlier buildings are known except that immediately prior to the present one. This, taken from the water colour paintings of John Ingleby in the National Library of Wales, shows a stone built structure with small windows set rather high in the walls of nave and chancel, a Western bell tower with pyramidal belfry, and an entrance porch on the south wall.

The present building of red brick was erected in 1815 on the site of the old one at a cost of £1,200. In 1864 there was a major renovation.  A chancel was added with an organ chamber and vestry incorporated on the south side.  The pulpit on the north wall was removed and a new one constructed at the north east angle of the nave, the ceiling was removed to reveal the beams, rafters and corbels we see today, and the old box pews were replaced by free seats.  However, the organ was moved back to the West gallery in more recent years.  All this work was carried out at a cost of £460.  Five years later the old Regency style windows were gothicized.

custom_image                                                                                                     Perhaps the most interesting feature of the church is the stained glass, some being the work of Morris and Co., others by O'Connor and C. A. Gibbs. A sundial is set high on the south wall of the Tower.

Architect : R. J. Withers (1823-94). Builders : Mr. Ed. Jones, Newtown.

For recent, detailed information about the Stained Glass, see

http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/site/78

In 2009, the electrics were renewed, providing improved lighting, the old carpet was replaced, and a new organ installed, bringing the church up to date.

 

 

  THE LYCH GATE

custom_imageThis replaced a wicket and was presented to the church by Mrs. E. Powell, Plasybryn, a local benefactress.  It was dedicated in February 1924 by Canon R. Evan Jones.  Made with rustic bricks on a freestone plinth, the superstructure is of oak grown on the Bryn Bank, the dominant hill overlooking the town from the north.  The gables and framing are also of oak with plaster panelling, the roof of brindled tiles.

Builder : E. C. Phillips & Son, Newtown.

(extracted from A brief history of the Buildings of the Church in the Parishes of Newtown & Llanlwlchaiarn by H.N. Oliver)

 

 

This is now the Parish Church of the Parish of Llanllwchaiarn & Newtown.

Llanllwchaiarn Churchyard Health & Safety Information

The Church has a responsibility to ensure that the churchyard is safe, and this includes ensuring that memorials and gravestones do not become a danger to people using the churchyard.

Churchwardens have recently been inspecting memorials and gravestones in the churchyard of Llanllwchaiarn church and a number of stones were found to be unsafe.

Remedial work will be carried out, which will include laying stones flat, cementing or removing stones where necessary.

Relatives/descendants of anyone buried or with a memorial in the churchyard are asked to ensure that their family graves are maintained in a safe condition, and to be aware that the PCC will undertake any remedial work it deems necessary to ensure the safety of the general public.

Anyone using the churchyard is asked to take care, particularly on uneven paths and ground and near vertical stones. 

Please do report any concerns to a churchwarden, the vicar or curate, or email admin@newtownparishes.co.uk 

 

back